Thursday, February 24, 2011

Big Dreams

Correct from my Last Post: Before I jump into today's topic it should be noted that the stuffed item I stole is not a chicken but rather a sheep. My mom kept referring to it as a chicken (just another example demonstrating that she is losing her mind because clearly it has a rotund body covered in curly hair).  Anyhow, I must have made a Freudian slip. 


Now onto today's topic.   I think there is an unfortunate stereotype out there that dogs don't have dreams, that they don't have hopes and aspirations; that they don't want something more than changing nap locations pursuant to the changing angle of the sunlight.  Well I'm here today to say that we do.  I have so many goals that they are literally bubbling out of me.  I think the best way to demonstrate the things I dream about is through a photographic montage.

Exhibit A

I have dreams of being a yogi, of going to Bali like Julia Roberts did in Eat, Pray Love.  And the saddest part of this dream is it could come true! My mom and Aunt H do yoga THREE times a week and not once have they even mentioned including me.  Not once. Every time they leave for their yoga classes a little part of me is chipped away because I'm excluded.  Why do they get to do what they want and improve their flexibility and I don't? Why do they get to melt their stress away with the zen encouraging warrior 1,2 and 3 pose? Now some may say "Well Diggy, clearly dogs aren't supposed to do yoga."  You know what I say to that?

1. Downward Facing Dog.
2. See Exhibit A


Exhibit B

My dreams go beyond my need for enlightenment and spiritual fulfillment.  I want to be intellectually challenged, I want to be part of ground-breaking educational innovation.  In the words of mom's Alma Mater, I want to Invent The Future.  Again, here we encounter such an unfortunate stereotype.  Sure there are some canines (Mochi) who have the intellect of a door stopper but others are capable of so much more.  And for those skeptics out there, Exhibit B (see above) says more than enough.  Not only can I read, but I have mastered the ability to write and use a highlighter despite not having opposable thumbs, thus refining my acute motor skills.  Further more, I have clearly grasped the importance of 'dressing the part.'


Exhibit C

Last but certainly not least - I want to live.  I want to take risks, I don't want to just do yoga in a studio I want to climb a mountain and do yoga at its peak.  I don't want to just ride in the side box of a motorcycle, I want to DRIVE a motorcycle.  Exhibit C exemplifies my thirst for thrill-seeking and my utter lack of fear.  Now if only I didn't have a mom standing in my way who worries about everything.

1 comment: