Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bacon: An Emotional Roller Coaster

On February 14, 2011, my beloved mom doggy water boarded me.  And by that I mean she made a delicious, mouthwatering meal and did not allow me even a morsel.  It was a long process and due to the varying nature of the ingredients my interest fluctuated.  When she was mincing garlic, I was standing on the runner table looking out the window.  When she was grinding/mashing the feta cheese, spinach and parlsey mixture I was throwing my tennis ball and retrieving it. (Yes, I am capable of playing catch with myself).  However, once I heard the slap of raw chicken breasts to the cutting board I was out of my couch nestle in a split second.  I watched with huge slightly bulbous eyes as my mom neatly cut into chicken breasts and stuffed them full of the cheese mixture.  I tried a few different tactics in order to get my mouth on some chicken.  But I wasn't successful.  Just when I thought I could handle the madness in the kitchen, I watched my mom walk in slow motion towards the fridge (or at least it felt like she was moving in slow motion).  She pulled the fridge door open, reached in and emerged with the canine holy grail.  Uncured applewood smoked bacon.  At once saliva was all but dripping out of my misshapen doggy mouth and I began to cry.  She immediately told me to can it.  Again I was forced to watch desperately as she cut a thin slice of butter, dropped it into the ban and unceremoniously dropped bacon slice after bacon slice.  The snack, crackle and pop was literally unbearable.  My tongue followed my mom to whatever surface her bacon juice covered hands touched.  The oven handle, the side of the counter, the actual counter top (which required leaping in order to reach) and licking the dish towel she used to wipe her hands.  Oh bacon how you torture me. Well, as mad as I am at my mom for displaying such brutal cruelty, I promised I'd provide the actual recipe, mostly for Sierra's mom because she likes to cook.

Feta Stuffed Chicken Breasts Wrapped in Bacon
4 skinless, boneless breasts
3/4 cup feta cheese
1/4 to 1/3 cup minced parlsey
1/4 to 1/3 cup minced spinach
1/4 cup minced shallot
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 thick slices of applewood smoked bacon
salt and ground pepper to taste

take all the ingredients minus the bacon and chicken and mix/mash them all together.  Mom used an ice cream scoop but apparently thats not the only tool you can use.  After mashing/mixing them thoroughly together cut each chicken breast open on the thick side about half way into the breast and stuff it real good with the mixings.

Next take the bacon and cook it for a few minutes, it should still be soft and then wrap two bacon strips around each chicken piece.  (This is the part where I really started crying).

Cook at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes then turn the oven to broil and broil it for 5 minutes or so to crisp the delicious bacon up.

Forgive the photos lack of fanciness.  The potatoes were quite scrumptious as well.  I'd type up the recipe but quite frankly I've lost interest and I'm still mad at my mom.  If you're curious she recommends going to allrecipes.com and typing in apple mashed potatoes.  She used medium sized red potatoes and threw in a large spoonful of sour cream while mixing.  Personally I wasn't as tempted by these as the bacon wrapped chicken but I'm a dog so that shouldn't be surprising.

1 comment:

  1. Yum Yum Diggy - I miss you cleaning my floor. Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete